Hey, did you know that there’s an organic strawberry farm in Cebu? Yep, you read it right. You can find the very first strawberry plantation at Sergio’s Farm in Maloray, Dalaguete Cebu. That’s a great news for it’ll save you a dime than traveling to Baguio to harvest fresh strawberries. And all thanks to Segio’s Farm for making their plantation open to public.
Sergio’s farm didn’t just grow strawberries but also other kinds of vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc. and even fish ponds. Sergio’s farm was built as a tribute to children’s love to their father, with a goal to promote the cultivation among local farmers and consumption by Cebuanos of naturally-grown vegetables without synthetic chemicals.
I haven’t been to Baguio so when I heard about strawberry farm in Cebu, I was really delighted. Imagine experiencing cooler weather while harvesting fresh organic strawberries like a haciendera? Yep, that’s exactly what was in my mind when I’m traveling there with a friend.
The other day, Janine and I trekked Osmeña Peak and if I have known that there wouldn’t be available strawberries for us to purchase on the day of our travel (that was Sunday), then, we should have fought our tiredness because of our early travel to Dalaguete and went to the farm afterwards. I was really disappointed. Sergio’s farm were collecting PHP50 each as an entrance fee and I was really expecting that aside from picking strawberries, we could atleast have 1 strawberry to taste. It was worse because we didn’t just experienced harvesting strawberries and purchased some, but we also didn’t get the chance to even have a bite.
Sergio’s farm is only open during Saturday and Sundays 8:00 to 5:00 PM so there was really a lot of visitors during our visit, and just like us, they’re disappointed. Well, the only consolation that I’ve got was the cool weather and the picture taking lol.
Browse more of our photos in our Flickr account.
How to get there
- From South Bus Terminal, hop into a bus bound for Bato-Oslob.
- Your drop off point is in Dalaguete Town proper, the landmark is the 7Eleven store.
- Lots of habal-habal are parked in the corner and then just tell the driver that you’re going to Sergio’s Farm in Maloray (fare PHP150 per person)
- Go back the same way. Most motorcycles will wait for you.
- Please be reminded with the management rules (e.g., no littering, proper picking of fruits)
- Their harvest day is Saturday, so make sure to visit during that day. The earlier the better.
- You need to walk a bit farther from the road going down to the plantation so it is really advisable to wear closed shoes.
- Wear comfortable clothing and bring your jacket with you especially if the weather isn’t that sunny.
- To save time, you can ride a Bus going to Mantalongon and then hop a habal-habal going to Sergio’s Farm.
- Place: Sergio’s Farm – Organic Strawberry Farm
- Location: Barangay Maloray, Municipality of Dalaguete, Cebu Philippines
- Ticket price: Php50
- Date of trip: March 2017